Friday, July 4, 2008

Another Installment of Pictures | 7.05.2008

Here are a dozen more photos to view at your convenience. The first eight are from Area B and Area E, where I excavate at Abila. Please don't be alarmed if you're wondering what I'm smoking with our workers. Hookah is a rather important aspect of Jordanian and Middle Eastern culture, similar to sharing coffee or tea together. The tobacco is called sheesha, a mixture of honey, fruit, and tobacco. It's really quite enjoyable. One picture is taken of our second breakfast, a veritable feast. The last five photos are taken from the Madrasa, or school, in Hartha where I live currently, some from the roof overlooking Hartha and some of our courtyard. Well, there's definitely more to come, I promise. Our week long trip begins tomorrow morning, when we'll travel to Petra, the Dead Sea and Jesus' baptismal site, a beautiful desert called Wadi Rum, where Laurence of Arabia lived for a time, a crusader castle called Kerak (where The Kingdom of God was filmed), the Red Sea and Aqaba, among other places. After we return there will be two weeks (ten days approximately) of digging remaing. Then we travel home August 4th.

















3 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks for sharing Pete! I love the pictures with you and the guys during breaks at the site - you have a gift for connecting with people Pete, it's awesome to watch. So you all are doing more work on Site B this year? Sweet!! What a great area. Have a great week in the South - excited for you all. Enjoy it & say hey to Vila for me. Peace dude!

Jennifer said...

Wow! Your blog sure makes me miss Jordan! I noticed a few familiar faces among your Jordanian workers. Have you run across Abu Ziad? The blog and pictures are amazing. Thanks for keeping us updated. I've been checking almost every day! Pour some water on Dr. Vila for me. :)

linda said...

i can't believe you have a tent. unfair.